PAUL READ (musician) lives in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He is a composer and arranger, a pianist, saxophonist, and educator.
From 2018 to 2020 he was the curator of the blog for the International Society of Jazz Arrangers and Composers (ISJAC) and while retired from academic life, he continues to work as a freelance composer and arranger.
In 1991, he founded degree programs in jazz studies at the University of Toronto (Mus. Bac., M. Mus. and DMA) where he was Professor of Music and Director of Jazz Studies and following that, Director of Graduate Jazz Studies. Prior to that Paul was a member of the Humber College Music Faculty in Toronto from 1979 to 1991, where he taught and served as Program Coordinator (1982-1987), and Director of Music (1987 to 1991). Additionally, he served as Canada’s Representative on the Executive Board of the International Association for Jazz Education (IAJE) from 2002-2008, and was the founding Director of the National Music Camp (NMC) Jazz Program (1987 to 2006). He served for many years on the faculty of other summer jazz camps such as the Ken Kistner Jazz Camp (Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan) and the Prairielands Jazz Camp (Regina, Saskatchewan).
- The Dance Never Ends – with Trish Colter (1998)
- At Long Last Love – Trish Colter (2002)
- Think Nice Thoughts (1999) – University of Toronto 10 O’clock Jazz Orchestra
- Off the Cuff (2001) – University of Toronto 10 O’clock Jazz Orchestra
- Rivers (2004) – University of Toronto 10 O’clock Jazz Orchestra
- Awakening (2006) – University of Toronto 10 O’clock Jazz Orchestra
- The Heart of Summer (2004) – Paul Read Quartet featuring Scott Robinson
- Arc-en-ciel (2013) This Addo Records release features his 18 piece jazz orchestra, PRO (Paul Read Orchestra)
- 2018 KPMT Lifetime Achievement Award (with Trish Colter) http://kenpagememorialtrust.com
- 2017 Inducted into the MusicFest Canada Hall of Fame
- 2015 Muriel Sherrin Award for International Achievement in Music (Toronto Arts Foundation). Photo of ceremony, click here -> PHOTO
- 2008 Paul Read Orchestra (PRO) nominated for a National Jazz Award
- 2007-2008 Awarded a Canada Council for the Arts Recording Grant
- 1998 Winner of the Jazz Report Award for ‘Post-Secondary School Jazz Program of the Year’ (on behalf of the University of Toronto where Paul Read was responsible for developing the University’s Jazz Performance Degree Program)
- 1993 Awarded the University of Toronto Senior Alumni Award for Innovation in Teaching
- 1972 Winner of the Rob McConnell/Gordon Delamont Arranging & Composition Award